President Jokowi Orders Liga 1 to be Stopped Until Investigation of Kanjuruhan Stadium Tragedy Completed

- 02 October 2022 12:16 WIB
President Joko Widodo (Jokowi). (Photo/Setkab)
President Joko Widodo (Jokowi). (Photo/Setkab)

JAKARTADAILY.ID - President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) ordered the suspension of Indonesian premier league (Liga 1) following the riots that occurred after derby match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya at Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang, East Java on Saturday, October 1, 2022.

“Especially to the National Police Chief, I ask to conduct an investigation and thoroughly investigate this case. For this reason, I have also ordered PSSI to temporarily suspend league 1 until evaluation and improvement of security procedures are carried out," said president jokowi in his statement, Sunday, October 2, 2022.

president jokowi also asked related parties to conduct a thorough evaluation of the implementation of football competitions in Indonesia.

Also read: 127 People Died in Riot after a Derby Match Between Arema FC and Persebaya at Kanjuruhan Stadium Malang

 "I have ordered the Minister of Youth and Sports, the National Police Chief, and the Head of PSSI for a thorough evaluation of the implementation of football matches and their security procedures," he said.

The President hopes that this incident will be the last in Indonesian football.

127 people died, including two police officers in a riot of supporters after the derby match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang.

"(As a result of the riots) 127 people have died, two of them members of the National Police," said East Java Police Chief Inspector General Nico Afinta to reporters, Sunday, October 2, 2022.

Also read: PSSI Supports Police Investigatiton on Soccer Match Riot in Kanjuruhan Stadium Malang that Kills 127 People

A total of 34 people were reported to have died at Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang Regency, while the rest died while receiving help at a number of local hospitals.

According to Nico, the match at Kanjuruhan Stadium actually went smoothly. However, after the game ended, a number of Arema FC supporters felt disappointed and some of them took to the field to look for players and officials.

The security officers then took preventive measures by making diversions so that the fans did not go down to the field and chase players. In the process, officers finally fired tear gas.

Meanwile General Chairman of the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI), Mochamad Iriawan expressed his deep condolences for the incident.

Also read: Two Indonesian Soccer Fans Died During the President's Cup Match Between Persib vs Persebaya


Editor: M. A. Wahad


Related Article

Latest News